Monday, March 12

St. Patrick's Day Rainbows

Today the kids and I decided to do a St. Patrick's Day craft/treat for all 9 kids at our church gathering on Wednesdays. (I'd like to apologize on the front end for the horrible pictures included in this blog.  I only had my phone on me at the craft time.)


This is super easy and fun for younger kids to be involved in.  My 2-year-old son even got in on the action, and we learned the colors of the rainbow and worked on counting!  My 4-year-old is a genius, so she "already knows those things," but she was willing to do the craft in spite of her great knowledge.  ;)


I also liked this craft because it was fairly cheap, and Rolos were on sale at Meijer this week.  We added our own special touches to it, too.  We included a necklace and a pencil with each bag of candy.  All St. Patrick's Day stuff was already 50% off at Joann's, so we picked up the necklaces there, and the pencils were from the dollar store.


Here's what you need for what we made:
cellophane bags
pencils
bead necklaces
2 bags of rainbow Twizzlers
2 bags of Rolos (I'm pretty sure any gold-wrapped candy would work)
green ribbon ribbon


Here's how we did it:


Drop 10 Rolos into each bag.  Layer the rainbow Twizzlers into the bag bent into "U" shapes over the Rolos (purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red).  The great thing about each bag of rainbow Twizzlers is that there are 5 of each color in every bag... something that is mentioned on the original blog, but is so unbelievable and amazing at the same time!  Then twist the top closed, put a twisty tie on it, then put a pencil on top, wrap a necklace around the twist and pencil, the top it off with a ribbon tied in a sweet bow.



Here's the link to the original blog:
http://www.ourbestbites.com/2012/03/st-patricks-day-rainbows/

2 comments:

  1. How did I just discover this cute blog you were doing?? Lol.... This was a really cute project, Fani :-) .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you discovered it!! Haha, I thought I had it pretty well hidden from people. ;) I haven't posted anything lately because I haven't had time to do anything like this since we moved. BUT - I will be posting something today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete