Saturday, March 17

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY! (asparagus)

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I decided to start today off with a green vegetable.  I love asparagus, but I never knew how to cook it until now!  Every time I made it, I just winged it, and every time, without fail, it was mushy.  I found this recipe on Pinterest for "crispy parmesan asparagus sticks," and I wanted to try it.  The main problem was that I didn't have two of the items needed to make it - a wire rack or panko bread crumbs.  I figured that the cook time would work for the asparagus even if I didn't have those items.


My ingredients:
1 bunch of asparagus
parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste


My instructions:
First preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.  Rinse the asparagus and quickly cut off the tough ends, then put them on a foil-lined cookie sheet and LOAD them with salt and parmesan cheese (while they're still wet so the toppings will stick).  Sprinkle a little pepper on top for good measure.  Put them in the oven for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through -- the cheese will be melty and may have started to burn a little bit, so beware of tearing through the foil. Take them out, put them on a plate, and add a bit more cheese!


The asparagus was good.  Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and, of course, cheesy (which makes everything better!).  I will definitely use this cooking method more often and maybe even try the actual recipe one day because a little crunch might make this one of my favorite vegetable dishes!




Here's the link to the inspiration for this dish:
http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/03/crispy-parmesan-asparagus-sticks/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment